In a historic conservation move the government of the United Republic of Tanzania will enforce a total ban on single-use plastic bags as of 1st June 2019.
Speaking in the National Parliament of Tanzania, the Prime Minister His Excellency Kassim Majaliwa announced that the last day to use plastic bags in Tanzania will be 31st May 2019 and from the 1st June no one will be allowed to produce, import, sell or use plastic bags.
He called on the plastic producing industries in the country to diverse some other technology for carrying bags instead of plastics. He said he has directed the minister for environment and union from the Vice President’s office to include the ban in the existing environment law and make it a legal ban.
Tanzania joins about 13 countries in Africa that have either banned or introduced a levy on plastic bags to control and eventually stop its use. In East Africa, Kenya introduced a complete ban on plastic last August while in 2007 Uganda introduced a ban of lightweight plastic bags.
Passengers and visitors intending to arrive at any Tanzania airport and border point, including Zanzibar, are advised to avoid packing any plastic bags in their hand luggage or checked baggage as they could face penalties on arrival. Items purchased at an airport before boarding the aircraft should also be removed from plastic bags.
Similarly, transparent “zip-lock” plastic bags that some airlines require passengers to use for keeping liquids, cosmetics, toiletries etc. are also not permitted and should be removed before disembarking.
- Rhinos translocated to Rwanda - June 24, 2019
- Canon 8 x 25 IS Binoculars - June 21, 2019
- Counter Poaching Unit received needed gear - June 20, 2019
- Laos looking after its Elephants - June 10, 2019
- World Environment Day encourages action - June 5, 2019
- Canon 5D Mark IV & 70-200mm Lens - May 21, 2019
- Canon EOS R & RF 24-105mm Lens - May 21, 2019
- Hwange Elephant Collaring in Zimbabwe - May 17, 2019
- Tanzania to ban single-use plastic bags - May 17, 2019
- Take a hike in Switzerland - May 17, 2019