With summer on its way in the Northern hemisphere, Switzerland Tourism has launched their 2019 Summer Campaign, which encourages visitors to take a hike. Literally.
Continuing on from their ‘Nature Wants You Back’ campaign, this year’s hiking theme showcases the 65,000km of trails on offer around the country.
Known for its pristine natural assets of majestic snow-capped mountains, glassy lakes, waterfalls, verdant valleys and moors, Switzerland also has the densest network of hiking trails, all of which are clearly marked by 50,000 signposts and way-markers, thanks to the work of 1,500 volunteers who help to set up and maintain these signage.
The campaign focuses on three key hiking trails, the Via Alpina, the Alpine Passes Trail and the Jura Crest Trail, each with a varying degree of difficulty.
The Via Alpina is the classic among the long-distance hikes in Switzerland. Crossing 14 of the most beautiful alpine passes, it leads through the northern Alps of Switzerland (Vaduz – Montreux, via six cantons), where hikers can experience the picture-postcard scenery first hand.
Alpine Passes Trail
The Alpine Passes Trail is challenging and wild, with a promise to deliver an amazing experience in the great outdoors. Connecting Chur with Lake Geneva via some of the most stunning passes in the Graubünden and Valais Alps, this trail is ideal for long-distance hikers, where they will enjoy endless pristine nature, views of 4,000m peaks and classic mountain huts,
Jura Crest Trail
Gentle and relatively unknown to non-Swiss hikers, the Jura Crest Trail is the oldest long-distance trail in Switzerland. Connecting Zurich and Geneva via the Jura mountains, the untouched landscape and tranquil appeal of the remoteness and glorious views make this easy graded hike a local favourite.
For more on hiking in Switzerland, visit www.MySwitzerland.com/hiking.
- Rhinos translocated to Rwanda - June 24, 2019
- Canon 8 x 25 IS Binoculars - June 21, 2019
- Counter Poaching Unit received needed gear - June 20, 2019
- Laos looking after its Elephants - June 10, 2019
- World Environment Day encourages action - June 5, 2019
- Canon 5D Mark IV & 70-200mm Lens - May 21, 2019
- Canon EOS R & RF 24-105mm Lens - May 21, 2019
- Hwange Elephant Collaring in Zimbabwe - May 17, 2019
- Tanzania to ban single-use plastic bags - May 17, 2019
- Take a hike in Switzerland - May 17, 2019