Located in the heart of the coral triangle, Papua New Guinea offers some of the worlds best diving.
There are two locations in particular that stand out, for their remoteness and sheer diversity of marine life, and that is Kimbe Bay and Kavieng.
Picture yourself diving into crystal clear water with huge reef pinnacles rising from the deep, covered with a kaleidoscope of colorful marine animals. This is Kimbe Bay. Only a short one-hour flight from Port Moresby to Hoskins airport, it’s easily accessible with the main dive operator being Walindi Resort.
Walindi offers private bungalow style accommodation, scuba diving and land tour packages to suit everybody’s needs. They also have their very own liveaboard boat operation which can venture out to some of the lesser dived sites in Kimbe.
North East of Kimbe Bay at the tip of New Ireland province is Kavieng town centre, again only a short flight from Port Moresby this place acts as a gateway to a tropical paradise like no other, Lissenung Island resort. Hidden away on a private island surrounded by pristine reefs and an abundance of marine life, this destination is perfect for ocean lovers.
Days are spent scuba diving and snorkeling the surrounding reefs, immersing in cultural island tours, surfing empty waves or simply relaxing and soaking up the island life.
With a huge range of bio diversity, pristine coral reef’s, large pelagic life and dramatic underwater topography Lissenung Island Resort has something for everyone of any experience level looking to explore the underwater world.
The owners of this magical place, Dietmar and Ange, are fully committed to the protection of the local marine environment so much so that they have privately funded their very own turtle conservation project. The couple are always more than happy to involve guests in the project, which is a refreshing thought to know that your stay at this incredible place is somehow contributing towards the survival of a species.
Papua New Guinea has an abundance of incredible diving for people of all experience levels and with some fantastic land tour and cultural experience’s you will never be stuck for something to do.
For more visit www.papuanewguinea.travel/scuba-diving
Words and photography: Grant Thomas Photography
- The North Face Paramount Convertible Pant - June 24, 2019
- Top Ten Italy Walks for under $1500 - June 19, 2019
- Goal Zero Sherpa 100PD Power Bank - June 13, 2019
- PONANT commits to support the Oceans, the Polar Regions and Indigenous Populations - June 12, 2019
- New Eco Walk on Queensland’s Cooloola Trail - May 31, 2019
- Suunto 5 GPS Sports Watch - May 30, 2019
- 6 Reasons to Visit the Galapagos in the Fall - May 27, 2019
- Tech used in wildlife protection at Ol Pejeta Conservancy - May 27, 2019
- World Expeditions launches new Canadian Adventures - May 24, 2019
- Help UTracks Build a Forest - May 22, 2019