Walk the Bay of Fires
Seclusion, solitude, stunning scenery and sweeping stretches of sand await on this five-day walking adventure from Launceston. Head east to this remote corner of Tasmania and follow trails to bright beaches rimmed with red-ringed rocks that contrast with the blue waters of the bay, up summits for vast views, and through fern-filled rainforest to hidden waterfalls. Let your experienced leader guide the way with their unmatched local knowledge, leaving you to focus on soaking up this world-famous stretch of coastline from close up. This active adventure is the perfect way to get out and explore the incredible sites just beneath your feet.
Why you’ll love this trip
- There’s no need for a map or GPS on this walking trip – with an expert local leader that knows the area inside-out, all you have to do is enjoy the journey.
- Escape the everyday, get active, and take the time to reconnect with nature in one of Australia’s – and the world’s – most beautiful coastal regions.
- The only thing better than the landscapes and wildlife you’ll see are the conversations you’ll have along the way, whether it’s the insights from your leader or stories from the group.
- This is the ultimate in low impact, local travel, supporting regional communities and getting right to the heart of the landscape on two feet.
- Find a slice of paradise in your own backyard with walks to the red rocks and crystal-clear waters of The Garden, Mt William NP, Eddystone Point and Blue Tier Forest Reserve.
Is this trip right for you?
- Please ensure you consult your local government’s advice regarding domestic travel prior to booking this trip.
- There are several walks planned on this trip. Fair level of fitness and appropriate footwear and clothing will allow you to fully enjoy this adventure.
- This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’.
Day 1: St Helens
It’s very important that you meet the group early this morning to begin your Bay of Fires tour. Find more details in the ‘Joining Point Instructions’ section of your Essential Trip Information. If you are going to be late, we recommend spending a night before your tour begins in Launceston. If so, we’ll be happy to organise additional accommodation (subject to availability).
Today’s hike is 10 kilometres. It will take around 2-3 hours, depending on the group.
Day 2: St Helens
Today’s walks are approximately 3.5 kilometres, 1.5 hours (Mt William summit), and 5 kilometres, 2-3 hours, mostly flat, transitioning from fire trails onto beach walking.
Day 3: St Helens
Today’s walk is approximately 12 kilometres, 4-5 hours.
Day 4: Launceston
Day 5: Launceston
1. This trip begins at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston at 7:45am.